MTConnect is a set of open, royalty-free standards intended to foster greater interoperability between controls, devices and software applications by publishing data over networks using the Internet Protocol. It is a basic first step in linking shop floor technologies and moving towards the goal of seamless manufacturing operation. By establishing an open and extensible channel of communication for plug-and-play inter-connectivity between devices, equipment and systems, MTConnect allows sources to exchange and understand each others data.
This approach allows connectivity from the lowest end of the process chain, nearest the workpiece or shop floor, to the highest design or process planning tool. And the expectation is that the interoperability afforded by MTConnect will enable a host of third party solution providers to develop software and hardware products to make the entire manufacturing enterprise more productive.
Memex is a proud supporter of the MTConnect standard.
MTConnect URLs worth checking out:
- MTConnect: Implementation Guide Webinar – a 40 minute webinar, by Dave Edstrom, on the technical and business issues to be aware of when implementing MTConnect for machine tools, devices or sensors
- How to Run 8 MTConnect Simulators to One Agent – The above blog post is a 12 minute recording to show how to connect eight MTConnect simulators to an agent, how to demonstrate it with a standard browser and MEMEX’s MERLIN OPTime. The simulators use NIST Smart Manufacturing Systems (SMS) Test Bed from eight different machine tools. MEMEX’s simulator.memexoee.com simulator is also shown.
- The Three A’s of MTConnect – the Adapter, the Agent and the App – 10 Minute Webcast by Dave Edstrom, CTO for Memex
- MTConnect.org – THE site for MTConnect
- github.com/MTConnect – lots of source code, binaries and information on exactly how MTConnect works at the lowest level
- MTConnect Users Portal – some good info here
- Using Excel as a simple monitor for MTConnect
- agent.MTConnect.org — this is where the MTConnect simulator is running. You can just type this into your browser and give simple commands such as:
- MTConnect Machine Tool Device Functionality – This page at the MTConnect Community User Portal provides the common baseline MTConnect Machine Tool Device Functionality. This group provides partial machine, control, and adapter support and functionality supplied by builders. Many additional devices are supported from the factory or via third party adapters, and the MTConnect standard may be extended to cover additional data items.
- MTConnect: To Measure Is To Know by Dave Edstrom – technical info on MTConnect is on pages 125 to 202
(NOTE: To access the videos on MTConnect.org all you need is name and email address to create a free login or a temporary login)
Leverage the power of MTConnect with:
For further reading download:
Dave Edstrom, former CTO of Memex Inc, educates us on how we can learn more about MTConnect. To visit his blog click here
Talk to a MEMEX representative
Watch a live MERLIN demo
Find a dealer or buy direct